I’m actually not in the camp of loving gingerbread cookies but I do love some chai tea and spices with a rich sweetener like molasses so I guess, it’s all about perspective LOL. These are the cutest bears that can be baked all year-round vs. the classic gingerbread people for the Holidays. Now, get your Chai on! for a bundle of edible cuteness.
Ingredients (Makes about a dozen 4" bear-shaped cookies)
Chai Sugar Sprinkle Topping
- 4 teaspoons Masala Chai ground
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
Bear-shaped Gingerbread Cookies
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1/2 cup packed light or dark brown sugar
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 egg at room temperature
- Pre-heat oven to 350F. Line 2 baking sheets with silicone silpat.
- Pre-blend all the dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon and salt) in a bowl and set aside.
- Ground the full-leaf Masala Chai in a grinder and blend with sugar. Set aside.
- Mix softened butter with brown sugar and molasses in a stand-up mixer fitted with the paddle attachment.
- Add vanilla and the egg, and blend further.
- Add the blended dry ingredients in three separate batches, and blend until a golden dough is formed.
- Divide dough in half. Roll each half in between two parchments sheets until 1/4" thick. Cut into bear shapes or use any cookie-cutter or hand-cut shape.
- Let cut-out cookies sit and set in freezer for 20-30 minutes.
- Sprinkle cookies with Masala Chai sugar topping.
- Bake in pre-heated oven for 15 minutes.
- Enjoy the delectable treat!